In 2009, an unfortunate series of events, unlike those described by Lemony Snickets, led my husband and I to move in with my parents. *groan* During those few
agonizingly humbling months, I started looking into unique housing options. Somehow, in the midst of my random Google searches, I stumbled upon the concept of living tiny.
People who lived in tiny homes shared a few important values with me: independence, being debt-free, and simplicity. Not only that, living tiny means less house to clean. Woot! Woot!
During the next eight years, I continued to research online all the various ways people choose to live this way. I loved it all. I wanted to buy a bus and live it actually! However, now that we have three kids, living tiny has lost a little of it’s luster. But I’m not completely over it.
On my 11th anniversary, my husband FINALLY let me follow my tiny house dream. We bought a camper! It’s a 1973 Forester, manufactured just four hours from my front door. To compromise, though, we opted not to live it in, but what we are gonna do hasn’t been fully decided yet. More details on that later!
For now, the plan is to completely remodel it. Correction: The plan is for ME (and me alone) to completely remodel it. My hubs is giving me 100% total freedom and control on this, and I can’t wait!
Interested in what our beautiful
hunk-a-junk trailer looks like? I’ve posted this video below, which is also on YouTube. It’s a tour of how the camper looked before the remodel. You can also view a slideshow of the photos. I’m hoping to repaint this thing, too, so please comment below with any suggestions.
If you are a camper renovation expert, please continue reading below. I need your help! 😉
Questions I currently have about the camper:
- I am missing a window in the back of the camper. Do it originally have a window AC unit, or should I just replace it with another window? And where would I find one?
- The water tank is inside the camper underneath the bottom bunk. The tubing has been cut (which you’ll see in a future post). Is this tank even still useable?
- I’d like to build a custom door for this thing – something that looks like the one found on THIS video. Do you think it’ll work? I’m not sure how to do it!
- Are there any other Forester camper remodel tutorials out there? I’ve been looking but coming up short – hence the reason I started this series. 🙂
- Anyone know what the 1973 Forester floor plan was exactly? Or even have photos of the original design?
If you have answers to any of these answers, or can show me where to find the answers, please let me know in the comments below.
Thanks, and see ya next time!